Makana Beach Cottage is an elegantly simple home in Salvo, part of the North Carolina's Outer Banks.
Built by one of the first surfers who migrated here in the 1970s, Makana is big enough to be comfortable, but small enough for quiet intimacy. It is ideal for small families, friends, solitary retreats or romantic get aways.
For 30 years, Makana Cottage was a year-round home, so you'll truly live like a local. We look forward to sharing our secrets to the great life ~ Hatteras Island style.
Built in 1986, this cozy cottage was expanded and remodeled in the early 2000s, with additional upgrades and renovations completed in 2017. Beautiful woodwork, natural lighting and simple comfortable furnishings create an aesthetic that allows your mind and body to unwind.
The main gathering area is largely open with well-equipped kitchen, living and dining area with cathedral ceilings. There is one private bedroom and an open sleeping loft. Stairs to the loft are a bit steep, but the skylight creates the open and natural feel. The ceiling is low in the loft, so watch your head! There is a a separate reading nook. A deep covered porch, complete with sofa and rocker, offers a view of the Pamlico Sound and runs the length of the house, allowing you to live indoors or out.
A lovely yard with large live oaks, native plants and natural visitors invites you to relax and enjoy more than just the beach. Just sit back, and soak it all in. Also outside, a luxurious private shower helps you rinse off the beach and enjoy the freedom of outdoor bathing.
We are friendly to all, but note that we do not provide crib, high chair, stair gates or other items for infants and toddlers. There is off-street parking for up to two vehicles in an unpaved driveway.
The entire home is accessible for your use. There are both soundside and ocean beach access on our street, so you are a two minute walk to the Pamlico Sound and less than 10 minutes from putting your feet in the refreshing ocean surf.
We live on the adjacent property, but trees and plants provide considerable privacy. As self-employed workers, our schedules are varied. You can call or text us with questions or needs. We are happy to help you with suggestions or local knowledge, but we trust that you will enjoy exploring on your own. You determine our level of interaction.
Hatteras Island enjoys a mystique among Outer Banks locations, with its remote feel and brash natural environment. With most of the island owned by the National Park Service (Cape Hatteras National Seashore), including nearly all ocean and sound side beaches, there is less development than most East Coast beach destinations.
Because we do not have large scale shopping in our village, including grocery stores, you may want to use a service or shop prior to your arrival. On island, there are two grocery stores to our south, 20 to 25 minutes drive.
We aim to provide essentials to 'get you started' on your beach vacation. Beach towels, dish/hand soaps, paper products and shampoo/body wash are provided for your convenience. Additional beach items, such as chairs and umbrellas, are available for sale or rent through local businesses.
Living so close to the natural environment, we strive to be eco-conscious in our home. We'll ask you to join in our efforts, including recycling and conserving water and energy.
- -Capacity for registered overnight guests is four (4) due to health department regulations (septic capacity). It is strictly enforced. We count infants, toddlers and children under 18 as individual guests because of the local occupancy rules.
- - No pets. A boarding service is available nearby in Rodanthe.
- - No smoking on property, including porches and yard.
- - Check in is 4 p.m. You may message to see if the property is available earlier, but it cannot be guaranteed.
- - Check out is 11 a.m. and is strict check-out time. Before leaving: Strip beds and place sheets by washer. Place dishes in dishwasher and start cycle. All trash outside to main garbage can. Clean out all items from refrigerator and freezer. Please give a quick sweep and secure the house.
- - Evacuation orders for non-residents by Dare County or other government bodies must be followed.
- - No bonfires on the property.
- - Violence, belligerence, excessive partying or any abusive behavior will not be tolerated.
- - No fireworks are permitted on Hatteras Island.
- - Illegal activities are obviously prohibited, including under aged drinking or provision of alcohol to minors. Immediate eviction may occur based on such activities.
- - Hatteras Island homes use septic systems. To avoid clogs or other disasters, toilet paper and human by-products are the only thing that should go into the system. (no diapers, baby or adult wipes, feminine hygiene products, paper towels, dental floss, cotton swabs, etc,).
- - We encourage you to enjoy the breezes and fresh ocean air. However, if you choose to do so, turn the heat/air conditioning OFF. If the heat or AC is on, windows and doors are closed. Owner reserves the right to enter house if you are not present to close windows/doors if heat/AC is on.
- - Noise: Sound carries here, especially at night. While Dare County allows complaints at any time, we ask you to observe "quiet hours" from 11 p.m. to 7 a.m. Common sense and courtesy will carry you far.
- - Trash: Recycling bin is provided, but trash needs to be taken to the large can at the curb. It is picked up Tuesday and Friday mornings (early).
- - Access to Pamlico Sound and Ocean Beaches: Please use the designated pathway for access and avoid trespassing on neighboring private property.
- - An apartment sized washer and dryer are available for your use. Please do not overload, and be sure to clean the lint filter to improve efficiency and avoid a fire. There are three (3) clothes lines for your use. Two on the deck/porch area and one retractable in the back yard. Clothes pins are provided.
- - Owner Entry/Interaction: Damage, repairs or other maintenance issues should be reported to owner. Owner or contractor may enter property (yard or home) as needed for maintenance and repair. Examples include lawn mowing, repairs or providing supplies. Owner or contractor may enter property if there is concern for protection of property from damage or guest safety.
- - We are open to all. If you are traveling with infants/toddlers and young children, we do not provide cribs, high chairs or other items, including stair gates.
- - Please consider which guests are most appropriate to use the upstairs loft, as the stairs are steep and ceilings are low.
- - For your comfort and house cleanliness, please leave the beach outside. Rinse off in outside shower. Shake shoes or leave on porch.