Winter Weekday Special!!! - Built in 1901, and renovated in 2010, the farmhouse blends its original charm with modern convenience. Area activities include hiking Old Rag or White Oak Canyon, Graves Mountain Lodge festivals, horseback riding, visiting historic sites, touring wineries, antiquing, cruising scenic Skyline Drive, and trout fishing. Perfect for adventurers, couples, or families Fabulous Farmhouse also welcomes dogs with prior approval from Christine of Home in the Hollow LLC.
Our house is located adjacent to Shenandoah National Park in the hollow of Double Top Mountain. Once functioning as a home for a large family the house was lovingly restored and modernized. Repurposing some of the unsalvageable original American Chestnut floors led to custom handmade kitchen and bathroom cabinets.
There are three bedrooms, two upstairs with a full bath, and one downstairs with a full bath including a claw foot tub. The kitchen, living area, and dining table for six share an open plan space. The house has new windows and a new hvac system, as well as a gas burning wood stove in the living area for cozy relaxation on winter nights. Updated with modern amenities the home maintains the original turn of the century Virginia farm house feel. There is a large front porch, good for mountain views or just sittin' !
The property is about 5.5 acres with a large yard and a new paddock for horses. The outdoor spaces are perfect for stargazing or enjoying clear mountain air. The paddock consists of two areas totaling approximately one acre. There is room for horse trailer parking as well.
You will be close to countless National Park trails and Skyline Drive. Fabulous Farmhouse is approximately 20 minutes from Madison (groceries), 20 minutes from Sperryville (Thornton Gap access to Skyline Drive), 1 hour from Charlottesville (airport, Monticello, IMAX theatre), or 1.5 hours from Washington DC.
Guests have access to the entire home including three private bedrooms, two full baths, private den/library, kitchen, dining, open living, full front porch, gas grill, and fire pit (weather permitting).
Guests can self check-in, or we can be available for our guests at check-in. We are always available by phone or email. Living nearby means we are also able to stop by (if necessary) to remove trash, mow the lawn, or complete minor maintenance during our guests extended visits.
COMMUNICATION TOOLS FOR GUESTS
The farmhouse has two phone lines. There is a land line for local calling and emergency 911 calls. The remaining phones are VOIP (two second delay) and will not work during a power outage. These phones are available for long distance calls. There is no cell service, however depending on carrier and plan cell calls can be made over wifi.
There is a radio, and a television with DVD player for watching movies. There is no network, cable, or satellite TV available at this time.
Our neighbors have very friendly golden retrievers which occasionally wander. Collectively the neighbor dogs, wildlife, and people on horseback may distract your pet leading to unsafe behaviors. You may wish to keep your dog leashed when outdoors, but you know your pet best!
FARMHOUSE AND COUNTRY LIFE
Regardless of how clean we keep our home it was still constructed in 1901, and is unlikely to be completely sealed to the outdoors. Expect a few harmless insects, especially the ladybug like creatures, to make an appearance!
Comfortable! Refreshed and Relaxed! We believe our house rules will help you achieve this experience.
- NO SMOKING of ANY substance IN or near the house! No burning of candles in the home. ALWAYS be attentive to local fire danger including dry or windy conditions, and only use the fire pit when fire danger is low. Virginia Department of Forestry and local regulations must be followed and will be posted in the farmhouse. No exceptions!
- The booking guest is responsible for the group, including confirmation that all items on the checkout list (provided at the house) are completed and house rules are followed.
- Secure the home in your absence or upon checkout. This includes closing and locking all doors and windows.
- No additional guests beyond the number in the original booking without host permission.
- Please remove your shoes upon entering the house.
- Food waste attracts bears and other wildlife. Secure all trash in the shed directly behind the home. Keep household surfaces free of food waste.
- Do not use the internet to stream video or audio, or for on-line gaming.
- Please do not remove towels or bedding from the house. Do not take bedding or blankets out to the fire pit.
We sincerely thank you.
Home in the Hollow LLC
I am an outdoor enthusiast, and spend my time gardening, riding horseback, hiking, and practicing amateur photography. I both appreciate and respect our environment. If I am not outside I am often reading, or researching the natural world.